Thursday, March 10, 2011

Oatmeal Mask (Skin Therapy)


Not a bad picture right? Too bad it looks like I am morphing into a reptile because my skin is so dry. Every winter it is a constant battle but since our move to even higher elevations, dry skin and scalp have become my worst nightmare.

I know what everyone is thinking, you just need to use a better moisturizer and cleanser. That could be the case if my skin weren't so sensitive. Almost anything liquid base is sure to cause an allergic reaction on my face including; foundations, cleansers, moisturizers, toners, any expensive face product, etc. After one or two attempts with a new product I find myself itching all over. Even the products that claim to be hypoallergenic or "natural" give me grief.

I've all but given up on this battle until yesterday when I decided to try an oatmeal scrub. I looked online at the various scrubs. Some were more geared towards acne. I wish I could find the site I used yesterday but alas I can't.

I do remember the instructions though.

Mash up 1 banana
Add 1 cup of ground oatmeal
Pour in a little bit of lukewarm milk

Place mask on for approximately 15 minutes.

BEST THING I've done for my skin all winter.

Now you know me, I'm all about the laziness. Thus I didn't bother to grind up the oatmeal which is probably why is was harder to put on. I had to keep my head tipped back the entire time to keep the oatmeal from falling off, it was just too heavy.

I'm also thinking I could reduce the recipe to 3/4 of what it calls for.

With that being said after one scrub my skin was noticeable smoother. It's not perfect but certainly a good start. Now if I can find a true natural moisturizer...

1 comment:

  1. Glad you were able to find something. Since moving up in our incredibly dry climate, I have to moisturize twice a day and same with the kids too. Dry, chapped skin that can bleed easily if not treated for a few days. Terrible. So far, I have had to use more pricier lotions for the boys but for the most part, we are okay. But this recipe actually seems good enough to eat, ha!

    ReplyDelete