Friday, February 4, 2011

Recipe Exchange (Tortilla Soup)

I am in no way a calorie counter nor am I faithful health nut 100% of the time. I am a chocolate lover and can be an emotional eater. With that being said I am constantly trying to find ways to make dinners more nutritious. I also don't have the patience for dinners that take a long time. 30 minutes or less is usually my limit. Thus, when I find a recipe that is both fast and good for you I treat it like gold.

Cook Yourself Thin is by far one of my favorite websites for meals which is where today's featured recipe comes from.

Serves 4
Calories per serving of soup: 165
Calories per serving of garnishes: 95

1 pound chicken tenders, cut into strips
1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 can chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoons ancho chile powder, or your favorite chile powder

To garnish:
1 jalapeƱo chile, cut into rings
12 baked tortilla chips
1/2 cup shredded light Monterey Jack cheese
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
1 lime, cut in wedges

1. In a large pot, bring chicken, broth, tomatoes and water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes.

2. Add the salt and chile powder, and taste, adding more chile powder if desired. Divide soup among serving bowls, and top with garnishes.


The only change I make to this recipe is that I take my frozen chicken tenders and cook them in the crockpot for a few hours; mostly because I'm that lazy and I hate cooking meat. Then I shred it and and put it in the soup.

This is one of the Prince's favorite meals. I have made it for his parents as well as my own and my younger siblings. It has been a smash hit! Seriously there is so much flavor that when your bowl is empty you are almost depressed.

Just typing about it makes me want to make it, especially on days like today when it is so stinking cold. Mmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment